Mac OS X isn't working.?

So today, I was on my mac on dong stuff I usually do on it.

My mac suddenly frozed and didn't respond for awhile, so I held the power button to turn it off. When I turned it back on, it went to a blue screen for awhile. A pop up came up saying:

"The application Spotlight quit unexpectedly.

Mac OS X and other applications are not affected

Click Relaunch to launch the application again. Click Report to see more details or send a report to Apple.'

I clicked 'Relaunch' and it like froze for awhile and goes to a blue screen. I waited at least 15-20 minutes and turned it off. So, I restarted my mac and this time I clicked 'Ignore'. It does the same thing, goes to a blue screen and nothing happens. What should I do? Is it broken?

Please help. Thanks a lot.

Comments

• When I had that problem a while back on an old G5, it was the program stuffit expander causing the problem.

You may also have a corrupt hard drive, so I would try reinstalling OSX from your backup discs that came with your computer, and if its still glitchy, replace your hard drive.

And as a last guess if all else fails, you may be overheating, so depending on the type of mac you have, make sure your fans are running, and try running in a cooler environment.

• You may need to get the Caches folder out of the startup process. To do that, you boot to single user mode and "mv" (rename) the caches folder.

Restart holding ⌘ and the S key. Ignoring the " marks and observing space or no space,

Type "/sbin/mount -uw /"

Press Return.

Type "cd /library"

Press Return.

Type "mv caches caches-old"

Press Return.

Type "reboot"

Press Return.

If that doesn't help. boot to single user mode again, navigate to Library, mv preferences preferences-old. If that doesn't work, single user, navigate to Users > yourhomefolder, mv library library-old. If you have to do this, you may find the result is some applications don't function normally. To resolve that, you would pick carefully among yourhomefolder's "Library-old" stuff and drag it to Library.