why do people continue to pray?

When I do something I like to see a result at some point. Why do people continue to pray when there is no clear evidence (nor could there be) that anything results from it?

Comments

• When faith is still immature, prayer is composed of asking favors. When faith matures, it simply becomes conversation with a friend and you enjoy it so much.

• Some actually get results (whether this comes from the individual him/herself or any deity is irrelevant - if it works then that's all that matters). Others find peace of mind and feel stronger when praying. It's a mechanism that helps many people. Why shouldn't they do it?

• Prayer is the raising of ones mind and heart to God. But when we pray do we speak from the height of our pride and will, or out of the depths of a humble and contrite heart? Humility is the foundation of prayer. Only when we humbly acknowledge that we do not know how to pray as we ought, are we ready to receive freely the gift of prayer.

• There is one who mediates between God and us, Jesus the Christ. Do you know Him? Through Him we can have peace with God and move toward prayer answered.

I would say some people continue to pray because they know Jesus.

• If God loved his followers and knew everything that was happening, and every thought that was going through their minds, then why would they need to pray? Unless God is a sadist who will only be nice if begged and pleaded with. Perhaps he has no initiative.

• Because:

The effectual fervent(i.e. unceasing) prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

James 5:16

• There are results however God works in his own time not ours….the funniest thing about this is even atheist cry out when they are about to die….mmmm….funny how in the last moment of life everyone believes in God

• You feel the result in your heart.

• No idea. The material efficacy of prayer equals zero.

• Yeah. I believe God is real. And His Son Jesus died to take away our sins:-)