Why would my former boss ask me to dinner?

I am a woman and so is my ex-boss. This isn't a romantic thing by any means. I was with my previous company for 10 years, in legal. I left a few months ago for another (great) company. My former boss, who is an attorney is in town and text me this morning and asked if I would like to go to dinner to 'catch up'. While I worked under her, we never had small talk or much personal conversation. We had a strictly professional relationship. Although, I admired her and respected her. She is not why I left. I have not heard from her in 3 months and all of the sudden she wants to meet for dinner. Do you think this is just a friendly 'how are things?' or could it be something else?

Comments

• There is probably an ulterior motive. Maybe she wants you to come back? Maybe she wants to ask you about someone else from the company? Or to recommend someone for a position? She may have thought it would be nicer to make it a dinner than just a call.

I was once invited to dinner by someone who worked at my company but I didn't have much to do with her. I figured she might want to learn something from me about her career path. At the dinner I found out she wanted to know if I knew why they had not promoted her. I was annoyed by that. I probably should have asked her ahead of time if she had a particular thing she wanted to talk about. At least then I would have been prepared, tho I might have declined the invitation.

• I think it is probably just a friendly gesture. But, she might want to try to persuade you to come back to work for the company or something like that. I doubt if it is anything sexual or there would have been some sign while you worked for her.

• That is odd since you didn't talk to her on personal matters. Maybe the company really misses you and she may want to invite you back. Just a guess.

• Go for it. You have nothing to lose.

Sounds professional on all levels. Besides, you aren't co-workers anymore.

• Just maybe she wants to get you back in her company with more pay.

• She could be either very nice or very mean by this gesture.