Theists, don't you like analytic thinking?

People who are intuitive thinkers are more likely to be religious, but getting them to think analytically even in subtle ways decreases the strength of their belief, according to a study in Science.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=l...

Update:

I.m not@ Still don't get it?? People are more likely to do things they like and if they do "but getting them to think analytically even in subtle ways decreases the strength of their belief" Sigh....

Please don't be rude just because you are unable to see the connections!

Comments

• Can't be sure...they never tried.

• Your question has nothing to do with your sub-text.

Sure, a theist can like analytical thinking. Doesn't mean they have to do it or care to practice it.

In addition: "Yes, the question actually has something to do with the subtext" - You should ask yourself if you're analytical first. Do you not see the irony? Liking something and being more predisposed to a certain way of thinking are two very different things.

• I don't run my life on other peoples opinions, so I'm not looking at the article.

Look; I was the consummate cynic. If I smelled flowers, I looked around me for a coffin.

At age 42 - very set in my ways - I heard 'God hates religion'. I HAD to investigate.

During my investigation, I started hearing about Jesus.... ready to brush him off (after all - what did some guy dying 2000 years ago have to do with ME, now? Grudgingly, I sat through it.

After a bit... I 'got' that he wasn't the stuffy religious figure from the past the churches made him out to be. I couldn't help but like this 'original hippie' character. After a month, I had to concede; this was God's Son. He had to be.

Then Jesus unscrambled my eggs.... gave me a fresh start. This former 'Junkyard dog' was given a new life. People that knew me then and those who know me now can testify to this.

• Well, I did a lot of analytical thinking and I'm next to losing my faith, so now I'm trying to revert the process and get my faith back.

• Simply believing that there is an intelligence behind the universe does not mean that one is religious or follows a particular credo.

• Studies in Science are not always a good basis for belief.

However knowledgeable they may be, experts in any field may have conflicting ideas and shifting opinions. Take, for example, the ongoing debate in medical science on something as basic as causes of illness. “The relative importance of nature versus nurture in illness forms the fabric of heated debate among scientists,” writes a professor of medicine at Harvard University. Those in what has been called the determinist camp believe strongly that our genes play a decisive role in our susceptibility to various diseases. Others, however, contend that the environment and life-style are the major factors in human pathology. Both sides are quick to cite studies and statistics to support their case. Nonetheless, the debate continues.

The most renowned of thinkers have been proved wrong again and again, even though what they taught seemed at the time to be beyond dispute. Philosopher Bertrand Russell described Aristotle as one of “the most influential of all philosophers.” Yet, Russell also pointed out that many of Aristotle’s doctrines were “wholly false.” “Throughout modern times,” he wrote, “practically every advance in science, in logic, or in philosophy has had to be made in the teeth of opposition from Aristotle’s disciples.”—History of Western Philosophy.

The early Christians likely met many who were disciples of the noted Greek philosophers, such as Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle. Educated people of the day regarded themselves as intellectually superior to most of the Christians. Not many of Jesus’ disciples were considered “wise in a fleshly way.” (1 Corinthians 1:26) In fact, those schooled in the philosophies of the day thought that what the Christians believed was simply “foolishness” or “sheer nonsense.”—1 Corinthians 1:23; Phillips.

If you were among those early Christians, would you have been impressed by the persuasive arguments of the intellectual elite of the day or overawed by their display of wisdom? (Colossians 2:4) There would have been no reason for that, according to the apostle Paul. He reminded Christians that Jehovah views “the wisdom of the wise men” and the “intelligence of the intellectual men” of the day as foolish. (1 Corinthians 1:19) “What,” he asked, “have the philosopher, the writer and the critic of this world to show for all their wisdom?” (1 Corinthians 1:20, Phillips) Despite all their intellectual brilliance, the philosophers, the writers, and the critics of Paul’s day had produced no real answer to mankind’s problems.

So Christians learned to avoid what the apostle Paul said were “the contradictions of the falsely called ‘knowledge.’” (1 Timothy 6:20) The reason that Paul called such knowledge ‘false’ is that it lacked one crucial factor—a source or reference from God against which their theories could be tested. (Job 28:12; Proverbs 1:7) Lacking that, and at the same time being blinded by the archdeceiver, Satan, those clinging to such knowledge could never hope to find the truth.—1 Corinthians 2:6-8, 14; 3:18-20; 2 Corinthians 4:4; 11:14; Revelation 12:9.

The early Christians never doubted that God had revealed his will, purpose, and principles in the Scriptures. (2 Timothy 3:16, 17) This protected them from being ‘carried off as prey through the philosophy and empty deception according to the tradition of men.’ (Colossians 2:8) The situation is the same today. In contrast with the confusing and conflicting opinions of men, God’s inspired Word provides a solid foundation on which we can base our beliefs. (John 17:17; 1 Thessalonians 2:13; 2 Peter 1:21) Without it we are left in the impossible situation of trying to build something solid on the shifting sands of human theories and philosophies.—Matthew 7:24-27.

Although many of Jesus’ disciples were simple men and women, possibly with limited education, they did have another God-given asset at their disposal. Regardless of their background, all were endowed with reasoning power and thinking abilities. The apostle Paul encouraged his fellow Christians to make full use of their “power of reason” to “prove to themselves the good and acceptable and perfect will of God.”—Romans 12:1, 2.

Whatever authority people may arrogate to themselves, you do not have to accept their conclusions if they contradict God, ignore his Word, and violate common sense. In the final analysis, the wise course is always to “let God be found true, though every man be found a liar.”—Romans 3:4.

• atheists are 'fools ', some of the were superstitious