What is wrong with my car?

Last night I was coming home from work and all of a sudden it got hard to steer. Then I looked down and my battery light was on and my engine started getting hot. Last year around this time I got a new battery and an alternator. So what else can be wrong....I don't hear any weird noises and i have power steering fluid. So what could be wrong. Also I recently got my Harmonic Balacer replaced if that helps at all.

Update:

My car is a 2000 oldsmobile intringue

Comments

• Sounds like hydraulic pump belt broken. If you have serpentine belt that runs water pump, alternator altogether with hydraulic pump and if it snaps, then none of these devices will work. You should give at least what car we're talking about here...

And yes, DO NOT DRIVE the car until things are fixed.

• Sounds like the drive belt broke, or is slipping.

The drive belt connects the engine to various components, like your alternator which charges your battery, the water pump, which pushes the coolant around the engine and radiator to cool the engine, and your power steering pump, which pressurizes the hydraulic fluid for your power steering.

Do NOT drive the car again until you fix it. You could seriously blow out the motor by over heating it.

• Like Mikey and frank f have suggested. You did no longer get the entire tale. there is not any way the police or all and sundry however the owner of the automobile is going to ought to pay for damages and prefer suggested right this is why. If spikes are used on a automobile, it became maximum possibly in a pursuit. this suggests that the driving force is breaking the regulation for no longer pulling over. (in spite of if it became the incorrect automobile) At this factor the driving force is going to be arrested and is committing against the regulation. The police use spike strips to quit the automobile, and driving force is arrested. Any harm to the automobile it is led to is the duty of the driving force or proprietor at this factor.

• it probably has a serpentine belt that runs everything from the power steering, alternator, AC and water pump so the belt could have broken and stopped the steering and water pump from turning.

• check your serpentine belts, and accessories it runs. You either have a seized up component, the belt broke, or even a slipping belt. If you harmonic ballancer wasn't installed correctly this could affect the belt system IE: not properly lined up and pulling through correctly (this may have caused it to slip off or break)

• Sounds like a problem with your belts. Check and see if any of the belts on the front of the engine are loose or if there is anything wrong with the balancer.

• definitely sound slike the serpentine belt has come off or has failed

dont run it until its looked at or repaired

if you overheat the engine bad enough you will have cracked heads or worse damage

• defently belts ar not on probaly a bearing in a pully sized up or the tensioner broke or if it was a cheap alternator they will sized up