how old to mate/breed rottweilers?

hi, i wanted to know what the most recommended ages are for a rottweiler male to mate and a female to breed

Comments

• I assume you are asking how to be a responsible breeder. :-)

1. Contact a breed club for your breed. Ask for a mentor.

2. STUDY the breed standard. Learn about dog anatomy and ask your mentor to

clarify anything you don't understand.

3. Learn what genetic faults and diseases run in your breed and test for any

that can be tested for.

4. Show your dog in conformation events to see if it is of the proper

quality for breeding. Winning doesn't always mean a dog is breeding quality,

but being around so many others that know your breed and will talk to you

will do wonders for your self-education efforts!

5. Study the past history of great dogs in your breed. You will see how your

breed has improved and progressed since the beginning of the breed.

6. Study the breed standard some more! ;-)

7. Join any Yahoo groups about your breed.

8. Live, dream and study your breed.

9. Get a good book on canine reproduction, and educate yourself about the

pitfalls, problems, and proud moments of breeding. Learn about the

physiology of reproduction, such as heat cycles and venereal diseases in

dogs, potential for problems specific to your breed, and what you need to

expect at whelping.

10. Remember that whelping (giving birth) can kill your female. Being used

as a stud dog can encourage bad behaviors common in intact males such as

territorial marking, aggression, and desire to roam from home.

11. Prepare to be broke. Breeding properly is EXPENSIVE.

12. Line up potential homes for any puppies you produce and write up a

contract. Remember to include that you will be willing to take back your

puppies at any time in their lives that they might need you. If you bring

life into this world, it is your responsibility FOREVER.

13. Prepare to spend sleepless nights attending whelping females, caring for

fading puppies or puppies orphaned, and practice cleaning up after 24/7 poop

machines.

I'm sure there are many things I missed because being a responsible breeder

isn't just a job. It's a way of life. You will live dogs. 24/7/365. There

are lots of hard decisions. There is a lot of expense. There will be pain.

But, if you do your darndest to always keep the welfare of your dogs and the

future of any of their offspring, you can go to step 14.

14. Enjoy the love and success of a job well done.

• It's very normal for a Rottweiler. However you will want to make sure he is eating good and getting proper nutrients. At his age I would suggest getting a puppy formula from the pet store and mixing it with some solid puppy food. This way he can transition more easily to dry food. There is no reason the puppy should have been removed from the mother at such an age and even if the puppy was orphaned by the mother the breeder should have assured the puppy was adequately nurished and cared for until he was at a stable age to be on his own. Check with the vet just in case. There may be other underlying problems that you may not take notice of.

• I would say the best age to mate/breed dogs is 2-4 years old. They say that in a dogs life, each human year= 7 dog years. For example, if a dog was 1 in human years, it would be 7 in dog years.

So, if you were to breed 2 dogs when they were 2 in human years, that would mean they would be 14.

I would breed them at age 2 1/2 human years- 3 1/2 human years.

• Of course, health certifications such as hips and elbows cannot be certified until the ***** ifs 2-years, so that is the minimum age. When your female is about 2.5 years old, I find that this is the age she can handle her first litter. Don't rush breeding your female - take your time and breed only to improve the breed.

• Please, before you decide look into the geneology of the male and female. Age has less to do with it than responsible breeding. You might make a few thou on a litter, but you also may cause an unsuspecting owner of years of expensive vet bills due to genetic problems.

Dogs are man's best friend, not man's best paycheck.

• I agree with Jennifer T, and strongly encourage you to follow her suggestions. A good resource is the American Rottweiler Club. Below is the link to their FAQ page, specifically their answer to the question "What is a Responsible Breeder?" Please give this information serious consideration. Remember, there are many, many dogs in need of a new home, including Rotties.

• I like to breed a dog much past 6 or 7, I often notice a smaller litter size in older female dogs. and it seems like I see more puppy mortality. That being said, if the dog is in good shape and gets a clean bill of health from your vet than she will probably do fine. I would retire her from breeding after this litter, sounds like she deserves some time off!