My cat had 5 kittens, and they all died, why?

My cat, who is a bit smaller than other cats, had 5 premature kittens, they were the size of a mouse. they had hardly any fur. I didnt think they would live too long, but i didnt bother to try.

They all died one by one, and i tried, the mother kept leaving them. they kept warm in a warm cardboard box, ate regularly, Could it be they were deformed on the inside of their body? They werent fully formed. but they looked fine on the outside, only smaller with less fur. The last one passed today. I feel bad for the last one the most, and all the rest. My days and nights were currently messed up and I went to bed at 2:00 pm after i placed a soft blanket over the last kitten and where the mothers stomach is. she was weak but nursed. I woke up at about 11:00 pm. and my cat was sleeping beside me. I got up and checked on the kitten, the bottom of it was warm from the warm blanket i put in, but the top of it was cold. I suggested it had been dead long. Any reason why this happened? it was very warm inside of their box.

Comments

• You don't say how OLD/YOUNG the mama cat is......but, she may be too young to have a litter that would survive. Also, if she mated with her brother, this could happen. Brother/sister matings can lead to stillbirths, premature or deformed kittens, or "failure to thrive" kittens ( like yours......died after birth ).

For the sake of your cat's health, take her to the vet TOMORROW, and have her checked over. If she doesn't have any "after effects" of the pregnancy, have her spayed. A cat that loses a whole litter, probably should NOT be allowed to have another.

So, rather than put BOTH of you through this again.......have her spayed & live the rest of her life without the drama ( heat ) or trauma ( mating & losing kittens )......You'll both be happier, and she'll be healthier.........

Sorry for your loss.......hope you don't let it happen again........GOOD LUCK TO BOTH OF YOU......

• you have a needy kitten. All kittens are distinctive emotionally. IF the Momma Cat died almost immediately after giving delivery -- relax certain your kitten isn't finding for this is mom. infant kittens imprint on their caregiver for each thing - nutrition, stimulation, play, socialization. Your superb guess? infant your infant. Reassure the kitten, redirection, distraction, yet maximum of all, infant the infant. each clutter has a 'particular' kitten it quite is a splash awkward and acts 'lost' even nevertheless there is an entire wad of kittens 5 ft away. good success and function relaxing ending off the pastime. Please get your kittens spayed/neutered earlier adopting them out!! do no longer overlook that a great variety of mom cat/kitten play is actual coaching the kitten to be a cat. So, that could desire to be your pastime too!!!

• Sadly, that's just how it happens sometimes. Typically, the whole litter won't survive. You'll occasionally find someone who's cat had kittens and ALL of them survived. Just like you'll occasionally find someone who's whole litter passed away. :(

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I just about had an anxiety attack when my cat had kittens, and one of them died.

How is the mother cat doing? Does she seem to be eating and sleeping normally? If she is, then that's good. If she's not, take her to the vet. She might have something wrong with her and that's what caused this.

Again, I'm sorry this happened to you. :(

• Your answer is right there. They were premature.