Clarinet or Saxophone?

I'm Considering starting the saxophone, would it help if i started the clarinet and the worked my way up to a saxophone? Or do you think it would be better to just go straight on to a saxophone?

If I do start, i am an experienced trumpeter, would this effect my trumpet playing if i did begin the saxophone/clarinet?

Comments

• Yes yes a lot of people are telling you to start with sax because it's "cooler" apparently. In my opinion, that's utter bullshit. There's no superior or inferior instruments, only humans and their tastes and preferences. :)

Now, in relation to your question, I'm going to suggest you do both, but start on clarinet. The reason is because clarinet being harder than sax, that means, when you get good at clarinet, the transition to sax will be much easier.

Your embouchure is harder on clarinet as well, and you have to keep toneholes closed with your fingers, so once you can master THAT, sax would be much easier. :)

Remember that clarinets, soprano saxes and tenor saxes are keyed to Bflat, and Alto and Bari Saxes are keyed to Eflat, so you need to get used to sight transposing if your music is in concert pitch. (As in, C sounds like C-- on a Clarinet, C sounds like Bflat on a piano)

They are both great instruments, so I suggest you go for them! :)

• haha. chill. If youre gonna start to play the saxophone, go ahead. Take a shot. It looks obvious that you like music, so you could play the clarinet and move your way up to the saxophone. Whatever you think is needed, follow your gut! ^-^

• Starting on clarinet wont help or hurt you. You're better off going strait to the sax. Since the saxophone is a woodwind instrument and doesn't use a mouthpiece like the trumpet, it shouldn't hurt your ambusher (going to an euphonium or tuba would hurt you)

• They are both woodwinds, I recommend starting on the Clarinet first to get used to the reeds. Then, move to an Alto Sax.. and so on. If you can play 1 type of Sax you can play them all. I don't see any reason it would effect your trumpet skills. If anything, you'll only get better. Best wishes!

• Well, I don't know about the switch from brass to woodwind (I'm strictly a brass player), but, I reccomend clarinet first.

First of all, clarinet is in the same key, so, your ear won't have to adjust at the same time as the rest of you (lips, tongue, fingers, etc etc).

And don't think of it as "working up to sax"

Learn clarinet fully first, and then do sax.

But, as a general rule for anyone who doubles on instruments, always practice all of your instruments regularly.

• i play the clarinet, the flute, the sax, and the trumpet (a little). i would recommend the clarinet but that's because it's my main instrument. the sax has different fingerings than the clarinet so it wouldn't help but the clarinet is really fun to play because there are just so many more notes that they can play. the sax is harder because it needs more air and is more prone to squeaking. it shouldn't affect your ability to play the trumpet unless you stop practicing it all together. u should play both because they are both uniquely awesome :)

• go with the clarinet, becausse trumpets and clarinets have the same notes, you would just have to figure out the fingerings. And the saxophone sounds horrible in my mind absolutely horrible! so go with the claronet....haha....clarinet

• Saxophone hands down im in fifth grade and i got chosen to play saxophone its gonna be so cool to learn how to play it my sisters in 7th grade and she plays clarinet in my opinon it looks boring and geeky. Alot of cool musicans play the saxophone and it sounds sexy.

• I started on Sax - my mum used to play clarinet and easily played my Sax.

SO - go with whichever you want to - either way is easy enough if you have the ability for it!

• Sax I play the clarinet and it sucks I wanted to play sax but my marching teacher was like nooooooo.