How to get motorcycle pemit/license?

I am planning to get a motorcycle and i was wondering how i would go about getting the permit and if there is a set time i need to have it. I am 18 and live in illinois. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Go to DMV and get packet- it's less than 20 bucks. Take the packet to a testing site and there's a computer/written test that you must pass wih 85% or better- it's easy. They'll take a form from your packet and give you a permit. The permit is good during daylight hours, no passengers, and you must wear a helmet, and no congested highways. I would recommend doing a safety class at a local motorcycle retailer, then scheduling your road test. However, if you want it's not like a drivers test when you're 16, you can take the road test as soon as the permit is in your hand. For the first year there after it is llegal to ride w/out a helmet. Also, it costs around 25 bucks to get your new license, too because it must be on your hard copy.

• Usually you have to pass a written test to get a permit and then pass the road test to get the actual license. The permit is usually only good for a short period of time, a few months tops.

• Reading the Motorcycle Operator's Manual from Illinois, you don't need take the written or riding tests if you pass the IDOT motorcycle training class, which is free.