Why is abortion legal?

I just saw pictures during a presentation of children who have been aborted and to be honest, I found it so disturbing, I had to leave the room? Why do people do this to children they don't want? Aren't there other options, like adoption? I can understand that it would be somewhat harder like, if you're in school and stuff but I mean, it can't be as bad as seeing the broken body of that child lying in a trash can! I just don't understand why anyone would do that. I mean, even if it's only a few weeks after you've discovered you're pregenant, wouldn't it still be so hard to go through with that? And also, can there be complications even if the fetus is only a few weeks old? Can it make you infertile? I just can't seem to comprehend this. Does anyone else feel the same?!

Comments

• This is a very touchy subject, and I'm glad you are addressing the issue to get opinions about it. Why are abortions legal? Because telling a woman that she _must_ have a baby is like telling her that she _must_ have a hysterectomy, or telling someone that they _must_ donate a kidney or lung to someone else. Bringing a child into this world is a great responsibility, and some women are not up to the task for whatever reason - age, environment, maturity level, financial resources. There may be a possibility of danger to the mother's health or life if she continues the pregnancy, it may also be traumatic if she has been raped and the pregnancy is a result of that rape.

Why is abortion legal as a form of birth control? I don't know. It's been going on for thousands of years, herbalists know that there are certain herbs that can cause miscarriages, and those herbs were used long before the modern chemicals were developed. Abortion is a term for deliberate miscarriage.

You're absolutely right, the images are disturbing, and it's hard to fathom why someone would do that, but also try to look at the other side of the fence - pregnancy lasts 9 full months and then that child lives for a lifetime... the mother has to face that fact.

For many, abortion seems to be an easy way out of the responsibility that results from having unprotected sex, but it is also a necessary procedure in cases that would result in harm or death to the mother.

I'm sorry I can't give you a better answer than that. There are those who are firmly pro-life - no abortion whatsoever no matter what, even if you die from the pregnancy, and there are those who are firmly pro-choice - abortion is the choice of the mother, and the risk is hers to decide upon even as it would be her decision whether or not to donate a kidney to someone else. I am not really either, but I'm sure you're soon going to hear from people in both camps. Good luck!

• Ive had an abortion myself, but for medical reasons. I had an ectopic abortion at 6wks gestation and needed counselling before and after the pregnancy. There are many reasons for abortion. For medical reasons like myself, rape victims, teen pregnancy, adult pregnancy or even psychological illness. There is no "shade of grey" with abortion. It is all black and white. People are either seriously opposed to it or totally agree with it.

As for myself, if i had not aborted i would not be alive today and neither would my child, so for some abortion is necessary.

I totally disagree though that abortion should be made illegal. In countries where abortion is illegal mother's can still do "home abortions". One of the worst scenarios which has been debated over the decades is the "coat hanger" effect. Women in these countries actually insert coat hangers within themselves and use it to scrape their uterus's out. They usually either suffer from infections such as tetanus and they can sometimes bleed to death from doing it.

Of course im not saying that people in your country might do that, but making it illegal gives scared women freeplay to seek illegal avenues to getting an abortion. The equipment may not be sterilised and the surgery may be done by an unqualified professional.

Keeping it legal keeps women and future babies safe. Most women must go through a screening test. It is also done within a controlled environment, with the right equipment and is sterilised.

Abortion should never be taken with a ball of fluff though. It should always be the last option before everything else fails.

• When life "actually begins" is all a matter of opinion. Does it begin at conception? At fertilization? When the fetus has a heartbeat? When the child actually breathes a breath of air? Your wording of the actual question is very bias and perhaps you have never known anyone or heard the horror stories of self abortion or teenage women kicked to the curb by an nonsupporting family. Is it really worth ruining two lives to actually bear child and try to raise it in poverty?

Another question raised is situational. What if the woman was raped or she is physically unable to carry the child through term? Should she be forced to risk her life, her baby's life, and the emotional distress of knowing that serious consequences, like mortality or disability, could occur?

There are many sides to the story of abortion, and everyone has their experience to build an opinion. Motherhood is not for everyone.

• I'm on the opposing fence as I have had an abortion, and yes, it was hard, I had to see a psychologist after wards, but I was 19, still living at home and could barely support myself, let alone a child. And I didn't want to be another teenage mom on welfare. And that may not seem like the best reason to have an abortion, but adoption is not an option for me. There is no way I could carry a baby for 9 months, then give it away to someone else. And that's hard for people to understand, but until you've been in the situation you can't really judge it. I was always against abortion, until I ended up a pregnant teenager. It was definitely not an easy decision to make, and I don't think I could do it again, but at the time, it was the best decision for me.

• I honestly cannot understand why it is legal. IT'S MURDER! If you were stupid enough to get pregnant when you didn't want to be, then you shouldn't have the convenience to just go have your pregnancy terminated, or as i say... Murder your child! Go through with the pregnancy, have your baby, more than likely experiencing that little life growing inside of you will completely change your mind about not wanting it, and if not then there is adoption. Sooo many wonderful families out there that want kids and can't have them, and then you have girls who just go out and kill their's. It really sickens me that someone could be capable of that. I think if the pregnancy is going to endager your life, or if you were raped, only then should it be ok. But not for those who just don't want the responsibilty or the stretch marks.

• I completely agree with you. I am 18 and a week away from being 6 months pregnant. My mother has helped me so much and obviously enough, the father is not around. The thought of abortion never even crossed my mind. I am completley against it. I knew that adoption would be hard, but I took my own parents into account with the fact that they cannot have children (my mother and step-father) and they tried adopting 3 times and everytime it came to sign the papers, the mother backed out. I knew that if I went through adoption, I would be giving a wonderful couple the chance to become a family. I have decided to keep my child, even with all of the put downs of older women about how I am ruining my life and my childs life. I may not know how to raise a child, but I know what it takes to care for one and how to love it. I am lucky enough to have my family around and I know that if they weren't helping me, I wouldn't be able to keep him/her. I believe that abortion should be allowed in the instance of rape/sexual abuse. If you get pregnant from consensual sex, out of wedlock or not in a relationship, it is your own fault and you should NOT be allowed to kill an innocent person for your own mistakes. A fetus's heart starts beating at 18 days, which is WAY before you find out your pregnant. So you are killing an innocent human-being.

• Unfortunately, a lot of people feel the same way you do. I say unfortunately because you don't see the end result. It's easy for you to say "just give them up for adoption." What you don't realize is that kids in foster care don't get any care at all. Most of these kids end up in the streets and commit crimes. Yes; some of them actually make something of themselves but not many. Besides, I think it's selfish for someone to put a kid into foster care when they didn't even ask to come to this world. Although I agree with you that it's a terrible thing to see, I'm willing to bet that kid is in heaven somewhere thinking "thank God they killed me early so that I don't go through a lifetime of suffering." Think about it from the kids' perspective; not yours..........

• ok first of all i am pro-life i definitely DON'T agree with abortion but in saying that sometimes it is nessesary like if it is the mothers life or the babys life. or there is something seriously wrong with the baby! One abortion cannot make you infertile if you have alot of abortions than yes it may make you infertile, i believe if you dont want the child then put it up for adoption dont murder it!

• I feel the same as you! There are other ways than having an Abortion, alot of people now are New Age, and think that its okay to Murder a Lil Child, who I might add is ALIVE!

I think that it has become acceptable now, and Women make it like a shopping experience, they are in and out, and on with there lives, to do it all over again. Sad really, and now that I have my son who is 1 yr, It makes me sick to know that people kill babies, in my eyes they are Murders, and should be in Prison, the Parents and the Doctors!

• I feel the same way. some people think that it is the only way. and they always try to convince their self if they were rape, or it was an incest case that abortions is the only way out. But there is always adoption. Maybe if that actually saw what they do to them babies they will not get them at all. I am totally not with abortions at all