Flying my dog from England to Canada?

Hi all,

I recently applied for a working holiday visa (IEC) and want to bring my 5 year old golden retriever called Charlie with me as I want to apply for permanent residency once I get a sponsored job there so I'm not leaving him behind!

So I am currently working out costs that I will need - I've worked out the cost for me but just wanted to know if anyone knew the procedure and costs for flying our a 32kg dog? As I'd prefer to do it myself to save money or would it be safer to book through a company?

Thanks in advance!

Rozanne

Comments

• Since you will NOT remain in Canada, leave puppy home with your parents. You will not be in Canada for more than a year. You cannot even apply for some permanent position while on IEC, and NO employer can hire you & get you any employment visa. You are only allowed short-term casual labor jobs during your IEC year.

Taking puppy back to UK with you at the end of the year will be far more complicated, and more excruciatingly expensive, than to get puppy into Canada to begin with!

• It doesn't make any sense. If you are on working holiday you are going to be living in some backpackers lodge or some place like that. Do you realize how tight housing is in popular places in Canada? It's hard enough for people without pets to put a roof over their head.

From the immigration POV, your plan does make sense given that you are skill level B. Yes, if you find a employer that really likes you they can jump through the Labour Market Opinion hoops for a B level job.

• You can't DIY international travel for a dog and you are not getting residency from a working holiday visa, it is not an immigrant visa, so you will be returning home.......cost of exporting the dog will be VERY expensive, so if you are worried about money then you simply can't afford it.

Friends imported their dog from USA to UK as they came on a work visa for 3 yrs, cost them more than it cost for them to travel 2 adults/two children and it takes at least 6 months of vet treatment/control BEFORE travel that cost that much again

• You can't do it on your own. If you call any airline - BA, Air Canada or whoever - for international shipments you have to go through a company that handles all of the proper paperwork and has the proper crate for long distance flights

When I moved from London to New York 3 years ago with my beagle, it cost about £2300 when you counted everything from the flight to the documents, insurance, etc, etc

• You CANNOT apply to stay permanently in Canada when on a working holiday visa. Period. You can completely forget that idea.

• Why do you think you cam import a dog with a working holiday visa.

• It's super easy just pretend to be blind.