Is it safe to give my 7 week old water?

Every time someone asks how to help baby go the bathroom someone always suggests water, and I did give it to my baby one time and it worked. I just worry that it's too harsh for his little system.

Comments

• He doesn't need water, whether it "worked" or not. Breastmilk (or formula) is ALL his system needs. If you give him water, you're taking up space in his tiny tummy that needs to be filled with breastmilk (or formula). If he's having worrisome trouble going to the bathroom, then you need to see a pediatrician.

• Your baby is a little bit too young for water but NOT because it's too harsh for the system but because of the chocking hazard and the fact that if you give too much water, you are filling them with something that has no nutritional value when they should be taking in formula or breast milk to help them grow. If your baby goes more than three days with no bowel movements, has any straining or is fussy , you should call your babies doctor.

Missy

• Its not that its too harsh, the worry is that he can get filled up on water, and he needs all the nutrients he can get (from breastmilk or formula). He should be filling at least 5 diapers a day with urine, and if he is formula fed, it can be 5 days before he has a bowel movement, and that is still considered normal!

Hope this helps.

• Yes. It is safe to give your baby water. BUT no more than an ounce a day. My pediatrician advised this when my daughter was having the same problem. The reason doctors say no water, no cereal in bottle, etc. is because parents tend to over-do it. That's also why infants' tylenol is no longer available OTC.

• No, it is not okay to give your 7 week old baby water. He should only be getting breast milk until 6 months old. His intestines are only equipped to handle that. If you breastfeed your baby will not have issues having a bowel movement. If you formula feed, which is harsh on babies tummies, it can cause problems. You have to talk about this with your doctor.

• He should not have water. It will make him feel full, then he won't nurse or bottle feed for the nutrients that he truly needs!!!

Milk fat from breast milk or from formula is crucial for brain development at this age up through the first year....

NO WATER!!!

• water is absolutly fine to give your baby! only use cooled boiled water! i gave it to my son since he was only a week old, he got very constipated and it did him no harm he is now 13 months and drinks nothing but water (he has his milk too) he loves it!

• All he needs is breastmilk or formula. Both contain enough water to meet his needs right now.

• It's safe as long as you don't give them more than just a few extra ounces per day. If you give him too much, it can lower his sodium level and he could have a seizure.

• i think your baby is to young...my ped. said to give my baby an ounce once she was a month old...ask your ped.