Is there an Electrical building Code for running an Extension cord?

Hi,

In regards to NFPA and/or Building code, primarily for the state connecticut. Is there a violation with the following:

220Vac

Connect a junction box to the back of my stove and tap off the 220Vac or plug spllitter and run a extension cord from inside to outside (about 50ft) then back inside to the basement.

120Vac

Run an extension cord in the same manner as stated above.

Goal:

I have a washer/dryer in the basement, the electrical outlets are part of my neighbors meter. I have shared access to the basement but I do not want to use their electric service. I can not modify any existing service.

Thank you

Comments

• ==the commercial building need a licensed electrician to perform the work --- call the building permit office in your city to confirm that you can or cannot do this work yourself and be in code ...

• Yes there is and what you propose Violates Several of Them. Not to mention it is Extremely Unsafe.

Do Not Do This.

I can sympathize with your dilemma and appreciate your desire not to use your neighbors electricity. Very kind of you.

Perhaps a better solution would be to keep a record of the number of times you use the washer and dryer. Then give your neighbor an appropriate amount of cash at the end of the month.

Just guessing here, but maybe .25 per load of wash and .75 to dry. If they also pay the water then perhaps .50 to wash. Or maybe you could offer to do something for them as a trade. Say mow the lawn, take out the garbage/recycle bins, wash their car once a month or?

Sure beats going to the Laundromat, or "burning down the house"!

• It is a code violation to use ANY extension cord on a permanent basis. Your stove and any 220v dryer should each be on SEPARATE dedicated circuits. What you need is a qualified electrician to install NEW circuits for the washer and dryer.

• It is not ok to use an extension cord for a permanently installed or located appliance.

Aside from it being dangerous, this is why when you buy a new fridge or washer the paperwork cautions you not to use an extension cord.