Why is America different or special?

I think America is different because it was founded on the principle of Liberty. That means that nobody can make you do things that are against your will. THAT EVEN MEANS THE GOVERNMENT! And government's function was to protect that liberty. Not to have you become a servant to it's will.

What about you? Why is the country different, and what do you believe the proper role of government is?

Comments

• Freedom.

the rest of the world just looks at it and scratches their heads.

• America's freedoms are becoming its own undoing.

We are becoming a textbook example of how democracy is a poor system of government.

Leaders are men that are celebrities and grandstanders, not educated people with any knowledge or expertise on running a country. The smoothest talker wins any election, and that's just not right.

Liberal or Conservative, you have to agree this is a pretty stupid system.

Even worse, Democracy is supposed to give people a voice. What if most people are too stupid to know how to help themselves?

• to give a complete answer would take hours.

to beging with an answer one has to go back to the origin.

the united states ( to begin with, it is not america, it is the

united states of america ) is a society or immigrants from all

over the world, beginning with the spaniards, the pilgrimfathers

and so on. waves of immigrants kept flowing in, depending

on the economical or religious conditions in other countries.

in other words, the society of the united states did not develop

naturally through generations, but is a mix of nationalities.

this is the big difference from other countries ( with the exception

of canada and australia ).

• to initiate we are no longer anymore particular than let's imagine africa or china-the elementary critical of that way of thinking started while this us of a substitute into made because of the fact those adult adult males thought that they had defeated the worldwide in the process the revolution--i do no longer say god bless u . s . a . of america because of the fact there is not any god and to speak of one implies to me you desire therapy.i do no longer desire to undesirable mouth the country i like yet we are too packed with ourselves and interior right here few months we are able to slowly substitute into that seventh or 8th power you point out in simple terms in accordance with our financial gadget.As a political viewpoint we are able to continually be between the better powers because of the fact we combat all human beings wars and police the worldwide and in doing so we've created hatred and bias in ourselves and different international locations.there are various many rich persons from this us of a that do lend a assisting hand to different international locations regardless of the undeniable fact that all of us comprehend your conversing from a commonplace ingredient and in my eyes its the main suitable ingredient ever taken in this undertaking. i do no longer carry individuals to the comparable larger power as maximum in fact i desire we weren't so enormous on the political scale because of the fact the bigger you are the bigger your objective is and if we proceed to assert it is gods us of a some day if that god is genuine he will say screw you i did no longer deliver jesus to u . s . a . of america

• Yes America is different, but not that different...

A lot of countries have Federal Govt and Local

A lot of countries have Constitutions

A lot of countries protects its citizen's "liberty"

You shouldn't feel special for "America" You should feel special for Americans, WE THE PEOPLE created the gov't and this nation. The Greeks invented Democracy and the British were the first invented a Liberal Democracy(Represenative)...

• the founding fathers would be disgusted right now if they knew what was going on. a senator trying to get a bible appreciation day as a national holiday. the government is what it is today because of lack of american knowledge of how the system is suppose to work. the government of today wanted a dumb down america so they could control us more. the role of government is to 1. keep us safe. not police the world. i understand that we have to our else chaos would overrun us. im not afraid of the new world order as long as the government gets cleaned up. we as americans should not allow as much corruption as we do in our system. 2. keep our money safe. lol refer back to 1. corruption took a toll if we never allowed swaps and derivatives to be legal we would be ok today. blame wendy gramm for that. our judicial system is a joke. get yourself arrested and you quickly see how scary it is because you have your idiot neighbors as a jury and lazy *** cops that dont care about the truth and power hungry d.a's.

• Our country seriously is the shining beacon because of its freedom and capitalism. If we lose that, the world will see a thousand years of darkness. There will be nowhere else to go.

• influx of immigrant to the vast natural resources, it has nothing to do with "freedom or liberty" . Pretty much all of the Europe to say the least is free to choose a ruling party in free elections.

Edit. For the testicles guy, here is the list of countries which have constitutions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_national_cons...

You do need enforcement of the law besides the law ....

• We're special because even mentally challenged individuals can run for elected office. Other countries also have "conservatives," but they are what in this country would be called "centrists."

• Yeah just aslong as your not homosexual or lesbian,many countries like Britain,France,Italy have been enjoying liberty along time before america was around.

'Land of the free' is propoganda how about getting out and seeing the world for what it is really like? instead of hanging on to every word the FOX/CNN Propoganda machines say!

• EQUAL RIGHTS FOR ALL CITIZENS!

JUST THAT SIMPLE.

ON GAY MARRIAGE:

Look, I don't LIKE thinking about it, I don't LIKE seeing it, but tell yourself what I told myself TOUGH, GET OVER IT, THIS IS THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA AND EVERY ADULT CITIZEN DESERVES EQUAL RIGHTS!

And yes, I do think it's icky, but so what? I got caught kissing a girl in the cloakroom IN THE FIRST GRADE!

I didn't have a CHOICE; I've always been straight, long before I ever heard of anything different.

Imagine if you woke up tomorrow and YOU were gay.

Suddenly, with no choice, you were attracted to the same gender instead of the opposite one.

Could you go without sex the rest of your life?

Would it be reasonable for society to try to impose that on you? Of course not.

What some of us are trying to do to homosexuals now, is put discrimination against them in the U. S. Constitution.

THAT IS THE SORT OF MEASURE THAT THE NAZIS PASSED AGAINST THE JEWS!

FOR GOD'S SAKE PEOPLE, DON'T BE LIKE THAT.

Also, THEY AREN'T ASKING FOR ANYTHING EXTRA

THAT IS A MYTH AND PROPAGANDA.

They ask for EQUALITY, PERIOD.