Is there such a thing as a terrible college?

I have a friend who doesn't plan on studying for the SAT. She says that she'll get into a college regardless of how awful her SAT score is. She is going to apply to Cabrini College next year, which has a 70% acceptance rate.

http://collegesearch.collegeboard.com/search/Colle...

I told her that colleges that have high acceptance rates tend to be terrible, but she said that there is no such thing as a terrible college. I told her that colleges that are not selective generally keep their programs in order to collect tuition dollars. Students who go to those colleges pay to get a degree, not to learn as much as possible. She then said that she's not going to study a lot because the whole point of going to college is to make connections and go to parties.

Is there such a thing as a terrible college? Why do so many kids go to college? Many of them aren't serious about learning.

Comments

• They go because the 4 year degree gets them a better job and more money.

• Is there such a thing as a terrible college?

-First of all, define "terrible". There are many colleges out there and some are going to be of higher quality than the rest. I'm pretty sure there are gonna be some colleges where the quality would be low enough to fall under your definition of terrible.

Why do so many kids go to college?

-To get a job after. That's the main reason. It's not so much to learn or rather it's to learn so that they will have the necessary skills to compete in the workforce once they graduate. But learning itself isn't the absolute goal.

And you're right, many people are not serious about learning. That's why you're going to meet a lot of guys who just want to party every night. If you want to do good, better choose your friends carefully once you hit college.

• Yes, I go to a terrible college... Oh, and it just so happens that you can get into this college without SAT scores. Its called Drew University.