Which ammo to use for my shotgun?

I have a Remington Model 1100 12-gauge shotgun. My main goal is to use it for home defense. What types of rounds do you suggest to stop an intruder in their tracks.

The gun takes 12-gauge, 2 3/4" rounds

Comments

• My HD shotgun is always loaded with 5 rounds of 00 buck. Don't know if that's the best but it would definitely stop an intruder in his tracks.

• The only thing I do not like about the 1100 is it is very hard to find one that takes 3" shells.

I use different shells in my 12 gauge. The first round is a 3" turkey load,number 4 shot. That is followed by 3 rounds of 2 3/4 oo buckshot and then a 2 3/4 rifled slug.

I would suggest loading your gun with oo buckshot and making the last round a slug,if you live in the middle of no where with no one else in your house,just load the whole tube with slugs,if you hit them center mass I'd bet they aren't going to be a threat any longer.

The only reason I do not recommend using slugs is because they will go through the intruder,his friend,out of your house and into a neighbors house,over penetration is a huge concern. You're responsible for every thing that leaves the barrel of your gun,you don't want to defend yourself then end up in prison on manslaughter charges because you killed the neighbor.

• 00 buck is good. #4 buck is devastating to coyote and I think its something like 29 pellets in the 2 3/4" shells. The home defense with the single slug and 3 00 pellets look neat at least. Depending on how well you like your gun you could always handload a shell with a stack of dimes as the shot. Ive always heard that would stop about anyone.

• There are some new rounds from winchester for home defense. In these rounds there are 3 00 buckshot pellets and a 1oz. slug in each round. I alternate these with #4 shot. the #4 will not over penetrate and at close range are very effective at least as much as most other rounds.

• Federal Ammo is the best or Winchester which both have 00 buck shots, I have mine loaded with Federal Ammo magnum in which if the wad doesn't get you the BB's will!!!!

• Duplex shot loaded with 4's and 6's.It's the most shot you can fix in any loading and sprays more effectively than buckshot obviously with still large enough shot to do damage.

• Dragon's Breath rounds (incendiary) are the best against intruders

• 00 buck, #4 or later buck