Is it really that difficult to ride a stallion?

Everyone say that they are really difficult to handle, but some also say so about the mare, but the ones I've ridden was not difficult at all. But a friend of mine says that the stallions even try to throw you off some times.

I would really like to have someone that has or had a stallion to answer this.

No point doing so if you just go after facts you have heard from others.

The reason I ask here and don't try to ride one myself, is because I don't know anyone with a stallion x)

So it's not possible:P I want to try though :)

And one more thing. When a horse has been a stallion in 6/7 years, that won't change much if you castrate him at that age, will it? So theres almost no point in doing so?

Comments

• A neighbour had their stallion castrated at about 10 yrs. You didn't have to watch him around mares at all after that. However gelding a horse will not correct learned bad behaviour.

Not all stallions are the same, some are as good as gold and others monsters in the making. All stallions need constant watching in the presence of other horses cause you never know when nature will kick in and take over. Things can get dangerous.

If the animal is not going to be used for breeding it should be gelded. I don't mean the " it would be SO CUTE to have a foal from this guy" kind of breeding. Back yard breeding results in a lot of horses that are not want because of poor conformation or no papers.

• depends on horse, training and rider

my farriers stud could be riden around mares in heat on the trails and was better behaved than some of the geldings

whem breeding, he had a different halter and you could see him turn into a stud when wearing it, even though he was still well behaved

yes it can calm down horses but can still act studdy

• That depends on the stalllion,some are well behaved and some are not.