do dogs even like their owners or are they just trying to dominate them?

my teacher taught us about dog dominance and pretty much everything they do is dominating. like if they stand over you or ask to be pet or bring a toy to you. i really like dogs and that is kind of ruining it for me. apparently all they try to do is dominate us all day hahahha do they even like us?

Update:

hey im with you guys i love dogs i just never looked at it like that before. im glad other people think its crap. i think everyone just looks into things too much

Comments

• Your teacher needs to back to school and learn more about proper canine behavior. Your teacher sounds very ignorant.

• It is a complex question. I believe it is not necessarily a black and white issue. Some dogs have generally dominant personalities. Some dogs exhibit dominant behavior only in certain situations and contexts but are mostly submissive and obedient dogs. And some dogs are naturally submissive but will push a boundary from time to time just to see what they can get away with.

Examples: IMHO leash pulling is dominant behavior. PERIOD. You want to go one way. The dog wants to go the other. It will stay that way until you either make it more worth the dog's while to follow you or issue a correction that makes the pulling stop. A dog who pulls and lunges all the time isn't always a dominant dog. But that dog is exhibiting dominant BEHAVIOR because he has not been made to perceive more submissive behavior in that situation as more rewarding.

Disobeying a commend may or may not be a dominant behavior depending on context. There is a distinction between a dog that refuses to obey because they don't respect you and a dog that hesitates to obey because they just don't feel like doing whatever it is you want them to do, and they want to see if you'll give up.

• Either your teacher does not know much about dogs, or you only have taken in a part of what was said. Our dog just loves people. She does everything she can to please. If she thinks you are not happy with her, she is not happy. If she thinks people might be mad at one anther, then she is also not happy. She is just a loving dog. So, each animal is different, just like people are different. Some breeds are more dominating such as Shepherds or other very intelligent dogs who need a pack leader. But many such as Golden Retrievers, Border Collies and MANY more breeds are just loving companions who realize where their food comes from and want to share in companionship and love. If you decide to get a dog, cage train it and get dog training books; also remember that dogs LIVE FOR PRAISE.

• Your teacher is a troll. Dogs want to submit to a leader. They only seek to dominate if they cannot trust their leader. Which tells me that your teacher may be a bit less effective than he believes he is. Children are no different, nor are all human beings (employees especially).''

Dogs are loyal. they learn human language as best they can and they are eager to please us. They like to interact with us and to receive affection and praise, they respond and give us affection, acceptance and their joy when they see us. They miss us when we are gone. They adore humans if they trust you. They hate you if they fear you or you are violating their space or the space they have been assigned to guard.

Still they are just dogs. They are not human and they live in the moment. They are simply happy to be with you (their pack member) in the moment. They do not plan for old age. They are either with you or they are missing you or frustrated they are bored and alone. If they have other pack members (other dogs or humans) they will be content in the moment and happy when you return to them.

Don't let some ignorant person who thinks they know what they are talking about spoil your enjoyment of your pet. Dogs cannot be "best friends" except to mentally ill people who cannot socially interact with other human beings. However, they can be great, loyal and loving companions. And they listen well without interrupting.

• It's BS. Our dogs love us, and they dont do everything to be dominant. Like some people say that if a dog leans on you its dominance, however this is a trait in Rotties (they do it when you pet them). My dog sleeps on my bed, brings me toys so that I play with them, etc. children do the same things and we don't call them dominant now do we?

• oh yeah totally they just use you, tell me have you ever cried around a dog? well i have and she came up and sat right next to me, even licked my tears off, have your parents ever came running to the door when you get home? NO, who does? your dog. what will a dog do if someone tries to hurt you? just sit their? no..they will attack, i have a golden retriever, the most loving dog in the world, who attacked someone who tried hurting me when they broke into my house. tell me thats not love? they will risk their life for you. they will risk their life when finding you on a mountain top thats 20 below. the risk their lives taking down bad people for cops, they will find you when no one else can.

• I disagree. I have two dogs and they never dominate me. They are very loving dogs and it's so obvious that that both love me.