What is healthier(20202202020)?

Riding your horse with a saddle or lunging him with a martengale to stregnthn his neck and butt muscles?

Comments

• A martingale or tie-down is only going to make your horse's topline weaker. If you want to make him use his muscles, he has to get himself into the proper outline. Forcing his head down won't do you any good.

Hill work is the best for building topline muscle. Lunging is best for the first few weeks, until he's strong enough to carry you and a saddle. Make sure you ride him from back to front (i.e., get him to work from under himself with his hindquarters, THEN worry about headset. Doing things the other way around only creates false collection.) When going uphill, either walk or canter, depending on his fitness level. Always keep yourself as balanced as possible so that you aren't inhibiting his movement, and make sure that your saddle fits well and doesn't leave a dry mark on the top of his scapula- this is a sign of an ill-fitted saddle. Get a better pad and give the poor horse some pressure relief.

• Savellla is correct.

A martengale strengthens the BOTTOM of the neck line esp. if it is a standing martengale.

I suggest the book by Werner Storl "Schooling Young Horses" or a similar book. In the book he makes the comment

"... every rider who buys a young horse should be aware of the fact that it takes about two years to school a young horse to the lowest level. None of the popular quick methods or shortcuts work, rather they impede development of the horse...."

It would seem this wisdom is all but forgotten with todays instant gratification society.

• Riding with a saddle. There is nothing at all wrong with riding in a saddle (unless it doesn't fit properly) but there are many problems with lunging in a martingale.

• I guess saddle riding. You shouldn't lunge with a martingale anyway, and lunging is hard on the joints

• trotting up and down hills will build up don't know about healthier