Can an American move to Austria as an immigrant?

I don't think our nation is heading towards the right direction, just look at all th indicators. I want to live in a place were religion is not a part of any political process and education (elementary all the way to college) is affordable. Can I get a job as a firefighter in Austria. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• I'm an American and have lived in Austria for the past 20 years (my husband is Austrian). All of your conceptions of Austria are not correct. Religion is *huge* part of politics and the political process and politics are just as frustrating and insane here; you just don't hear about it as much detail in the US news. Education here is horrible; the system is backwards and medieval and my kids are getting a terrible education even though they attend a highly reputable international school... It's all not what it seems on the surface. I also work at a university here and the university level education is a joke, too. American universities are the best. I wish we could move back to the US but we cannot financially afford to. Had I known how terrible this education system was, I would have tried harder to convince my husband to move to the US before my oldest child started 1st grade. But I didn't know.... I had to find out the hard way. You won't get a job as a firefighter here; you have to be an Austrian citizen and the whole process is also very political to become a firefighter.

I'm really sorry to be such a downer on this but I feel you need to know the truth. Here is something you should read: http://han.chung.name/austria.asp

It's very insightful and as an American, you would be subjected pretty much to the same process. The right wing conservative parties here just made huge advances in the recent election and they are very "anti-foreigner" so the sentiment here is to keep foreigners out and the regulations will become even tight for immigrants. With the results of the recent elections, this country is also not headed in the right direction. I used to whine and complain about many things in the US as well until I moved overseas and got a different perspective. Now I'd give anything to move back home to California but I'm stuck here. As Americans we take a lot of things for granted and I didn't appreciate many things until I moved away and no longer had these things. I thought the grass was greener on the other side but for me, it's not.

If you're still intent on pursuing it, please see this site: www.virtualvienna.net for a lot of useful information on living and working in Austria. They've got forum boards as well.

Again, sorry to be such a "negative Nellie" but I've been here 20 years. I know what I'm talking about. Why Austria? Why not Canada or Australia instead? Another place on my list would be Singapore! That's an expat American *paradise*!

• Moving To Austria

• This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Can an American move to Austria as an immigrant?

I don't think our nation is heading towards the right direction, just look at all th indicators. I want to live in a place were religion is not a part of any political process and education (elementary all the way to college) is affordable. Can I get a job as a firefighter in Austria. Thanks in...

• For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/igVms

I don't hate illegals. I am sure they are wonderful people. What I dislike is that they are criminals, just like any other criminal in the U.S. I know people who have gone the legal route to become a U.S. citizan. Some have had to wait for fifteen years. They appreicate their citizanship and understand what it is to be here. They learned the language and have adjusted to being American. How many other countries would allow this sort of crap? I can imagine Italians moving illegally into Austria and making them speak Italian, or Mexicans into Canada or Russians into India or China. Yeah right... As far as them doing jobs that no one wants to do, that is total BS. An American was doing that job before Gorge, Jesus or whoever came along. Now, that American is unemployed because what they are qualified to do pays nothing anymore because the companies only want to hire illegals for $3.00 per hour or whatever. So, that American gets on welfare because they can't make it, and I end up paying for them. There is no reason for us to let these people in here. It is not good for our country. We may be the Land of The Free, but we are not a Free For All. If you want to be here, then learn our language so I don't have to learn yours just to become employed (Your ILLEGAL), make a dammed effort to become an American and do it the legal way. Otherwise get deported back to your country and stay there. We don't need imported criminals. We have enough of them already. I care about the other issues, too, but illegals being here is a cancer eating our society alive and it needs to be taken care of. It is a serious issue that affects all of us right now. It affects employment, welfare, taxes, culture, crime, among other things. Why wouldn't it be a topic in the news?

• I hope so; I want to move to Austria someday.

• yes. Most of people in vienna came from surrounding countries. people in vienna was mixed in 19th c from Poland, Hungary, Serbia, Croatia, Turkey, ukraine, Czech, slovakia, slovenia, Germany. Now they are mixing with China, Vietnam, Philippines, Albania,. so why not?