How do you gain more responsibility?

People have told me I'm not a responsible person. But when I grow up, I want a horse really bad. This is not just something I've decided out of the blue, but something I've pondered for years now. I know the expenses and care a horse needs, but I think I need more responsibility since knowledge itself isn't enough. Is there anything I could do as of now to gain more experience and responsibility to eventually own one of these beautiful animals?

Comments

• Prove that you can take responsibility and are reliable.

This is not a matter to be taken lightly. If you say you are going to do something then do it. Don't put it off or forget about it or make excuses as to why you have not done something. This is not just about horses but life in general.

I have had young children who have from an early age proved themselves to be responsible (with the animals) I knew that if they said they had done something then they had done it an I never had a need to check. If they couldn't do something then they would tell me and I would do it. I have had other children who say they have done everything and when I run a check list half has been forgotten or rather than forgotten they just couldn't be bothered and I would always check everything they had done.

Prove responsibility with other things and once your parents can trust you to be responsible then maybe they will consider getting you a horse.

• Find a responsible and patient riding instructor. A good instructor will teach you things besides how to ride. Start learning how to ride, take of horses, tack them up, groom them, etc. Offer to groom horses, muck out stalls and other stuff to show how responsible you can be around horses. Follow your instructors directions carefully.