Help! I'm trying to use my drill machine and the screws don't go into the wall anymore?!?

It my bedroom door and door jamb. I am trying to put on two locks on my mortice door & door jamb. Pretty straightforward, make 3 circles on the white door jamb (wall part)

http://www.doorsecuritypro.com/i//door-jamb-split....

Well, I can't get the screws past like a few centimeters. I put the torque higher at power 2 on my 9.5v Black & Decker driller. The screw keeps wiggling around & dancing around instead of going in and the drill seems to shake in my hand. Am I not strong enough?

Comments

• There seems to be a few possible issues here. One the drill may be under powered. Do you know if the wood of the door or the trim is hardwood? Hard wood would be Oak,Maple,Mahogany etc. If this is the case you will find it necessary to pre-drill a pilot hole with drill bit slightly smaller that the screw that you are installing.This allows the screw to enter into the wood with ease and without loosing any strength.

The bit that you use to install the screw is important when using a drill to install the screw. If it is worn or the bit may not be the right size it will make your task harder.

You are probably more than strong enough your technique needs work.

Hope this bit of information puts you on the right track,

Good luck,

• It's possible that you've hit a steel plate behind a wood or metal jamb. Some pre hung doors are metel because the're rated a fire saftey door, especially if it's an exterior door. Try using a self tapping metal screw. If the current length of your screw is 1 1/4 inch long and havinng trouble poking through, you might want to try boreing a small pilot hole with a regular drill bit to explore the depth to find an anchor point.

• Sounds like a metal plate is behind or you could be trying to put the screw in on top of another screw or nail