tipping taxi cabs?

while in las vagas i got a cab , the driver stopped i said where i wanted to go he didn't say a word over the next 1-1half miles nothing was said , not where are you from , how are you , nice day anything , as i didnt tip him at the end i got a load of abuse surely you should tip if you get good service , all i got was him doing his job for 5 minutes nothing special you dont tip the checkout girl or the baker so why do taxi cab automaticlly assume they should get a tip .....?

Update:

remember I'm paying for his driving ability's anyway a tip is for good service he is not doing me a favor I'm a paying customer

Comments

• your right why tip if you don't get a special service these drivers always assume its there right to get extra money for a job i work in a supermarket as a checkout girl and no one tips me for doing my job correctly don't tip if you don't want to and maybe they will improve

• Yes...you were wrong not to tip the cab driver. Figure around 10% of the fare is the norm. If your fare was $9.00, give the driver a tenner and you're sweet.

Look, having been in more cabs than I care to admit, more often than not, I don't really want someone who's chatty; confirm the location, and that's pretty much it. If you have a question for the driver about something...by all means ask. It's a good way to indicate that you're interested in conversation.

One of the worst cab rides ever was a 30-minute trip in Ohio; the guy wouldn't shut up (by his mind he was being friendly, by mine he was making a bad headache worse).

• You should always tip a cab driver. Sure, it can be fun if you get an amusing, chatty driver, but some don't talk at all.

During one trip to Vegas, my friend and I got into the cab of one hilarious European driver. He was talking about getting sex, masculinity, riches and how to get some. He had a heavy accent, but I got most of what he was saying. He said that, in a way, the whole sex game is overrated, and often leaves disappointment in its wake. I probably should have tipped him more.

The next cab driver I encountered didn't talk at all. I gave him a normal tip, but it was a downer in comparison to the other cabby.

• We had a similar issue where we got taken from Venitian to MGM in cab and he went straight up the Strip which I thought was rip off we were talking about how my mate had just won $11.5k and did not have aword off of the driver. My froiend paid the cab fare plus $5 and the guy went off about you have won $11.5k and you tip me a lousy $5. Anyway guide to tipping in Vegas here http://vegasuncovered.wordpress.com/2008/07/12/tip...

• What was the purpose of your cab ride? Was it to get you somewhere or to be entertained? I think that was rude of you not to tip. You were just looking for a reason to stiff him. He did his job and took you where you needed to go. He did you a favor by not chatting. He paid attention to his driving ... wish more drivers would do that. Do you tip the bellman for carrying your bags? Do you tip the doorman for opening the door? I bet you don't because you don't think they did anything to entertain you. Next time ask before you get into the cab what kind of show he performs.

• bring a travel companion if you want conversation, a taxi drivers job is to get you from here to there not entertain you. Many people don't want to be bothered with small talk, I'm sure they were just trying to be polite.

Unless they don't get you there safely or timely, you should tip your cab driver

• You should always tip your taxi driver. If you don't want to tip people, then take the bus instead of a taxi, cut your own hair, make your own food, and stay away from the service industry.

• why tip if you don't get a good service i don't and neither should you that way we will all get a better service