I need help or I can't sleep and it hurts.?

Does anyone else ever have this...because it happens to me alot and I can't sleep. I go to bed..then I dream seemingly normally...but then I become focussed on some problem that I try to solve while sleeping ...usually it's a math problem and it usually makes logical sense ..but sometimes it's abstract ...and I wake up 4 hrs later with a headache and I feel physically sick ..mostly with a bit of a stomach ache and there's a built up pressure in my head. ..kind of similar to when you get stressed out ...

Comments

• It sounds like you should ask an MD and not Yahoo. No, that's not normal per se. See a good doctor and remember that he works for you, not the reverse. Insomnia can be cured if it's reoccurring. Ask the nurse over the phone if the doctor treats your particular problem and save yourself an office call too. Good Luck.

• Routine is key. Get into a great routine with bedtime and stick to it. I've always read that tv is very bad for going to sleep. It's too stimulating for you to really get sleepy. Other activites that are less stimulating can actually tire you down and help you go to sleep. These are activities like reading or word or number puzzles. I love SUDOKU it is light and challenging and realy tires my brain so that I go right to sleep when I turn off my reading light. Reading or doing these puzzles is good because it takes your mind off of these other problems.

Certain foods can help you go to sleep... drinking a little bit of milk is good whether it's warm or cold. There are some teas that are decafinated that are good to drink a little before you go to bed, I think one is cammomile.

Doing something calming like rubbing your hands, arms and legs down with a calming lotion is relaxing and can help you wind down. Some lotions are made especially for this: Johnson & Johnson's bedtime lotion.

Some sounds and scents are also relaxing and help you wind down. Sometimes I go to sleep listening to a very low classical cd, or nature sounds, also the sound of the ceiling fan on high helps me go to sleep.

Also the bedtime lotion's nice smell is very relaxing.

Avoid drinking or eating foods with caffeine before bed as well as medication that may keep you awake.

Good luck.

• Computer! Keep a small pad and pen next to your bed. Wake up, write down the problem and you will return to sleep. Reason? You're not afraid of not solving the problem you're afraid you'll forget it. This works with a range of problems such as waking up remembering a meeting the next day. Just write it down and go back to ni-nis

• Wow, that sounds awful. =/

I would suggest you talk to a doctor or a councilor about this one. Seems like you are under extreme stress in your day to day life and it's manifesting itself into your dreams. Such stress is really bad to your overall health. It wouldn't be uncommon for someone who's overwhelmed to feel such symptoms. Perhaps you are only conscious of these side effects in your dreams for some reason...?

Good luck with this.

(edit: I really wasn't trying to sound like the person above me... >.<;; )

• Try staring at a blank wall or ceiling when you sleep. It will clear your mind and give you better sleep. Also, you can try reading something light before bed. It will help prepare your mind for sleep.

• I usually sleep with the TV on that way my brain will kind of concentrate on the TV instead of a math problem. (use the sleep timer)

• So don't allow it...replace it with prayer before bed. Tell yourself *no* and consider fresh air/exercise.