Breakfast items for vegan student and student with fatal milk allergy?

I am chaperoning a trip and have a student who is vegan. We are providing quick, on the go breakfasts for them 2 mornings which typically includes bagels (cream cheese, jam), cheese, oranges, apples, Nutrigrain bars, pudding cups, juice boxes and water bottles. What are some items commonly found in grocery store like Superstore (Canada) that I can buy for her as substitutes? Items for a student with a fatal milk allergy? Thank you!!

Update:

We don't have Wholefoods! I need items that can be found at Superstore, Safeway, Sobeys or Wal-Mart!

Comments

• Here is a list of a ton of vegan products that can be found in common stores.

:)

Hopefully that will help.

http://www.peta.org/accidentallyVegan/

Select a few to start with. The allergen info will say if there are peanut oils. It is wonderful that you are putting in so much effort. Just do your best because, honestly, parents of vegans wont send their kids out unprepared. They understand that their children may end up in situations without food and will have something stuffed in their bags.

:)

• Go to Wholefoods. They have lots of items that will be marked vegan.

Be very careful that the items do not contain casein which is a dairy derivative that is found in some items labeled non-dairy.

Get Larabars for snacks - they are vegan and sooo good. I recommend the Cashew Cookie and Pecan and Banana varieties. You can buy them at Wholefoods.

You can also get vegan bread and vegan cheese or vegan margarine like spread and of course vegan jams and jellies.

And you can of course get fruit (bananas, apples) and some almond butter or cashew butter or some nuts.

Wholefoods has soooo many vegan items. Just read the labels be careful to avoid casein!

Many regular supermarkets have natural food sections nowadays that these items can be found in too - since you don't have Wholefoods.

Or maybe the student could bring some of his own snacks. I have learned to always bring my own snacks since non-vegans usually give me items they think are vegan but are not.

https://www.larabar.com/secure/index_.php

http://www.wholefoods.com/

• Hummus and pita (provide plastic spoons). Superstore carries a high-protein pita bread from Byblos bakery that is very filling. I'm not 100% sure if it's free of dairy but you can check.

Tofu on the go snacks are available in Safeway and superstore - also filling.

• Whole wheat pita and Tofutti cream cheese substitute.

Vega meal replacement bars.

I don't know what a canadian store carries so I'm sorry I'm not much help.

You can buy tiny cartons of soy milk. Eden soy makes them. The vegan items are suitable for a child with a milk allergy.

• I am allergic to wheat, soy, eggs, dairy, peanuts, tomato, and avacado, and can tell you its going to be quite a challenge if they have a true (fatal) allergy. I am assuming they all have epi pens. Most foods found in standard grocery stores are produced on lines that also produce nuts, soy, and dairy. They should be marked "manufactured in a plant that also produces....etc) Bagels contain egg and dairy. Cream cheese is dairy. Many jams are manufactured in factories that produce nut products. Nutrigrain bars have dairy, wheat, eggs, and nuts. Pudding cups are dairy, often manufactured in plants that produce nuts. Fresh fruits and vegetables should be okay, as is ORGANIC rice, oatmeal, or quinoa. None of those are easily available, most found in health food stores. I suggest stocking up on Larabars or Raw Revolution bars before your trip, available at most health food stores. If this student has a true allergy, like I do, then you MUST avoid all risk of cross contamination. Even the tiniest bit of cross contamination (such as manufactured in the same plant) can be deadly, causing anaphalactic reactions. Have fun on your trip, and remain vigilant. I would assume the childs mother could provide further info. I would not send my child on a trip unless I was CERTAIN that the chaperones truly understood the seriousness of this matter. The fact that you are asking on here makes me wonder (don't mean that to sound mean in the least, its just that it is quite serious)

• dorset cereals carry out a little good breakfast in a bars that are extremely small yet filling and nutritious, and that they are all organic they arrive in cranberry and almond pistachio and pumpkin seed date and pecan and are scrumptious if no longer, a flapjack is sweet. they'd incorporate fat yet all and sundry desires some fat, and its greater advantageous to eat this in the previous on interior the day they additionally incorporate oats for sluggish launch ability, and sugar working example ability breakfast smoothies are good- liquidise yogurt, soya milk, culmination of your possibilities, cereal or oats for a balanced breakfast freeze a yogurt and genuine with honey and sliced banana for a potential boosting dessert like yum breakfast

• either call the parents of these special diet students and ask them to pack their food for the trip or ask the students if they want to go shopping with the person who is providing the food

• Follow me hon...

Oatmeal - Soymilk- Ricemilk- Honey-Cinnamon -Graham Crackers

or one of the greatest inventions from the '70's

TRAIL MIX -a vegan staple

• Whole wheat bread, or any bread for that matter with peanut butter (all natural or the regular kind) topped with bananas.

• I would really consider asking the student what she/he normally can eat on the go. Other ideas would be fruit salad and some sunflower seeds to sprinkle on top.