how do you clean your dogs ears?

my dogs ears always smell funny, even after a bath, how do you clean them with out huritng her...?

Comments

• If the ears have an odor it is likely that your dog has an ear infection of some kind and may require antibiotics. In large, heavy eared dogs yeast infections are common as moisture gets trapped and allows for an over production of yeast. You should take him to the vet anytime his ears develop a smell. If he is scratching at them that is another sign.

As for cleaning them, I recommend an ear wash from your vet. They are not anymore expensive than the ones from the pet store and are more effective. Epi-Otic by Virbac ia a good one. It is safe to be used once a week. Don't use alcohol it is to drying and can cause irritation. Depending on the size of your dog use either a cotton ball or gauze pads for bigger dogs. Squirt the wash on your cottonball or pad and gently wipe out all the crevices. You should do this until all debris is gone. You should clean the ears at least once every two weeks but my vet recommends once a week if you have the time. There is no reason to take your dog to a groomer to do this unless you just want to. It is quick, easy, and no more complicated than cleaning out your own ears.

• Most of the answers to your question are correct, except for the few idiots that want to be funny. The only thing I would add, is that when you clean the ears, remember that whatever you are putting in there is going down the ear canal and if it is a bacteria can give the dog an infection somewhere else in the body. I clean my dogs ears every morning before we go to work because the climate here in South Florida is very humid.

• My dog has big ol' floppy ears as well, and often stink. If they stink, it might mean they have an ear infection, which is very common if they have floppy ears. If this is so, you have to get a ear medicine from the vet. To clean the ears, you can get a solution made just for that and pour a little in their ears. Squeeze and rub the spot right by the tip of their ear, where their ears meet the head, then take a cotton ball and rub in their to get the wax out. If your dog is grunting when you are doing this, it is fine.

• When I groom a dog, I use 50/50 warm water and mild dog shampoo. Pour it into the dogs ear until it runs out, them message the bell (base) of the ear. The water/shampoo mixture soften the dirt and ear wax, the message breaks it loose. Use clean running warm water (shower extension running low works great), and rinse the ear canal well. You can use 50/50 vinegar and water to help with the smell.

You should have her ears cked by a vet to make sure she does not have an ear infection. This works if an infection has already been ruled out.

I don't think I would use alcohol though.

• Use a damp rag with hydrogen peroxide. gently hold the ear up towards you with firm pressure and don't go way down deep, but get the outskirts. think of your own ear when cleaning. don't allow water into the ears when giving the dog a bath. some breeds of dogs and types of dogs with floppy and big ears can retain moisture, which can cause bacteria to build up and a funny odor results. if it is really smelly, the dog may have an ear infection. Or, make an appt with the vet or local vet school to get your dogs ears cleaned, and then have them show you.

• STEP 1: Use an ear wash formulated for ear cleaning.

STEP 2: Soak a cotton ball thoroughly in the ear wash. Squeeze out excess ear wash.

STEP 3: Place the cotton ball in your dog's ear and gently rub up and down.

STEP 4: Allow your dog to shake off excess moisture. This is important for preventing ear infections.

STEP 5: Soak the tip of a cotton swab in the ear wash and run it along the nooks and crannies of your dog's ears.

STEP 6: Avoid putting the swab down your dog's ear canal; leave this type of cleaning to the veterinary medical staff.

• When you clean the ears out, ALWAYS MAKE SURE TO DRY THEM VERY WELL!!! this is important, b/c if you leave moisture in the ears, they may get infected. I have to clean my beagle's ears weekly; i use the solution that I got from the vet. Squirt a small amount of cleaning soultion into the ears, massge the base of the ear (it will make a squishing sound) for about 20seconds. Allow the dog to shake his/her head. Then use cotton balls of gause (something soft and absorbant) to clean out the ears. Make sure you get them as dry as possible as I worte at the beginning.

If the ears stink, that is a sign of an ear infection. You need to get your pup to the vet. Ask them there to SHOW you how to clean the ears out. That is the BEST way to learn how to do it safely!

Good luck!

• Go to PetsMart and they have special cloths you can buy to clean her ears with.

I take cotton and put peroxide on it and clean around the outside and squeeze the cotton and let the fluid flow into the ear. It will loosen up anything in the ear will not hurt her and will get ride of any order that she may have.

I do take her to the vet once a month just to check them to make sure there are no mites or hair balls in her ears...Only cost me $10.00 its worth is for my dog {Border Collie}...

• I have two dogs, One dog inside and the other got outside, the dog that I have outside is always playing in the dirt so he always has dirt in his ears, when its bath time, I get a warm washcloth, ring it out really good, and I use my finger and the washcloth to clean his ears, it works so good. No matter what the ears are always going to stink, just try using a good sweet smelling shampoo to get rid of the dog smell, like Fresh Mountain Strawberry by. Suave Naturals at walmart.

• Your dog either has ear mites or ear infection. If wax is real dark, dirty looking he has mites and needs meds specific for ear mites. then you will use an otic souloution to clean the ears. either way the cleaner should come from the vets. If you live in a smaller town, the vet may sell you the cleaner over the counter, but you need to know what you are treating.