I want to live in Japan…Where do I start?

Conisdering from what I've already read on other questions here on Yahoo Answers, it doesn't seem as difficult as they say. Basically what I've learned is that you need a Bachelors Degree in no specific subject, Japanese Speaking/Writing skills and a Visa or just make things even more simpler and marry a Japanese Spouse that already resides there. But is there anything else required? I also read that you have to live there for 5 years to officially apply for citizenship. It has been a dream of mine for over a decade that I live in Japan, one of childhood influences ever since I watched an episode of one of the orginal Pokémon as a toddler c'x from then on I became very interested in the culture and interests of the Japanese.

If it really is as hard as people say…what would be the easiest job to apply for there? Easiest Route? If you can list others than English Teaching that'd be great. I'm hoping either Modeling, Art, Writing/Journelism, or basically any Designing of some sort ._. What are the few jobs that foreigners usually don't apply for in Japan, besides the obvious cleaning, ETC.

Any other advice or statements as long as its not anything rude would be highly appreciated(:

Update:

Paulh…you really irk me. Did you not read my question correctly? I said that ever since I watched a series I became fasinated about their culture and history. Never once did I say that just because I loved their manga I wanted to hop on a plan and live there. What a fool. >.>

And I do speak Japanese fluently. I am currently learning how to write it ((I'm 14))

Comments

• But is there anything else required? I also read that you have to live there for 5 years to officially apply for citizenship.

so why do you want to be a citizen? Japan does not allow dual nationality. You will have to give up your current passport and choose a Japanese name to become a Japanese national. You have no idea you will even like the place after a year.

You can apply for PR after 4 years on a spouse visa. If you want to go for naturalisation they will go through your trash, interview your neighbors and even a speeding ticket can torpedo your application.

It has been a dream of mine for over a decade that I live in Japan, one of childhood influences ever since I watched an episode of one of the orginal Pokémon as a toddler c'x from then on I became very interested in the culture and interests of the Japanese.

Manga and anime is different from the real world. Paying rent, supporting a family, paying health insurance and pension, school tuition will take the shine off very quickly.

If it really is as hard as people say…what would be the easiest job to apply for there? Easiest Route? If you can list others than English Teaching that'd be great. I'm hoping either Modeling, Art, Writing/Journelism, or basically any Designing of some sort ._. What are the few jobs that foreigners usually don't apply for in Japan, besides the obvious cleaning, ETC.

So whats your Japanese ability like? Can you order a beer in a pub? Ask directions? Tell your dentist you want a root canal?

what jobs can you do in your country without being able to speak English? Not many right?

An additional note:

As you mention you are going to need at LEAST a minimum of a college degree before you can get a work visa.

Sure you can get a 90 day tourist visa but can not work in that time. You will be 22 or 23 by the time you get a work visa. In the meantime you can come to study here or come as a tourist.

Im sorry if I irk you but having spent 25 years living here I know what I'm talking about. Its even getting hard to get regular teaching jobs as there are more foreigners than jobs and employers can pick and choose. Pay is quite low with average pay around the 200,000 yen a month mark. this is considered minimum wage and barely enough to live on. As well as airfare you need a place to live, pay key money as well as monthly living expenses. Health insurance, pension and city taxes will eat up 25% of your paycheck.

Burnout is particularly high in the language teaching industry and many teachers end up spinning their wheels or moving from one low paying job to another. You can find work but most of them do not include health insurance, pension, bonuses or paid vacations. Most teachers now are in 1 year contracts and some are as short as 6 months and you if you work for a dispatch company you don't get paid when school is closed or there are no lessons say during summer vacations.

Being interested in anime and manga is all well and good but it does not get you a job nor pay the rent. You need a degree MINIMUM< you need skills that an employer is willing to pay you good money for and they can not get from hiring a local japanese national (who by the way they pay equally poorly). You need to be realistic, and understand that getting hired as a designer is slim to none unless you have a skill set they can not find anywhere else.

Just out of curiosity how good is your Kanji? being fluent means being able to read a japanese newspaper without the use of a dictionary. That means about 1980 Kanji, minimum. And you will find that when you come here people don't talk like textbooks.

• you're able to learn the community language first & then enquire with the Embassey placed on your u . s . a . - they are going to be waiting to steer you. with the aid of ways there's a asserting in a community language meaning: Mountains are a sight - from a distance.