Any opinion on this analogy for "missing" heat?

You are trying to assess the wealth of someone. You have access to the following information:

Her income

Her spending (ordinary consumer retail spending, not purchasing investments like stocks)

Her checking account balance (not specific transactions, just a running balance)

You do *not* have access to any information about any other investments she may be making.

If you subtract your target's spending from her income, you end up with money left over. This has continued to be the case.

But, lately, her checking account balance has been going down a bit.

Is it reasonable to conclude, from what you know, that she is investing money somewhere that you don't know about?

Do you see the analogy to the concept of "missing" heat? Do you think it's a reasonable analogy? Do you think it suggests anything about current climate research or any related issues? Any other thoughts?

Update:

I'd appreciate if someone would spell out the analogy for the confused...

Update 3:

Just in case anyone doesn't get it:

her income is the heat input from the sun.

her spending is the radiation into space from the Earth.

her checking account is the surface temperatures we can easily measure.

the "missing" heat is everything in her savings accounts, her investments, and so on.

Comments

• Yes, that is a fair analogy.

• Most americans won't love it, most want our approach to specified revenge. Those that do are shouted down. Europeans realise the notion. Lady's day in court can declare presidency for this very idea. A man at one time might rape his spouse and the courts didn't see it that manner. The OJ.Simpson case is one more crime of ardour case (no person fairly would not believe that guy was some thing more than a drifter and that in a feat of jealousy he killed them each), however maybe he didn't. It used to be the fellow with out a arm, the Kimble security. In Europe they've an extended historical past of this difficulty and one other figuring out as good. They also think the american citizens suggestion to offer monies to victims is crazy and once we are trying it there they say no and laugh at us.

• http://www.eoearth.org/article/Energy_balance_of_E...

The Earth balances its heating checkbook in many ways.

The only problem I have with my link is with its final analogy of how anthropogenic greenhouse gases affect heat imbalances.

• I do see it. You tell her you will get to the bottom of the issue, you simply need to talk to her accountant. She tells you your not an accountant and wouldn't understand. You tell her the money cannot just disappear and the accountant should know where it went. She agrees but tells you she trust her accountant and for you to question him would be inappropriate because you are not an accountant and wouldn't understand. You talk to the accountant anyway. Find out he knows where it is, you ask to see it, he shows you a graph and you ask what this is and he tells you it is his theory on where th money has to be. You tell your friend to get a new accountant, she calls you a denier, claims the moneywill show up eventually and you will be sorry when it shows up.

• It's no analogy at all because there is no mystery. We know how much energy comes in and we know how much energy goes out and the two are nearly balanced.

But we also know that not all energy that comes in from the Sun is lost back into space. This is why the so called scientific "Energy Budget" is such a sham. It preaches that all energy that comes in --- goes out, but clearly it doesn't.

Not all the energy leaves, it can't because much of it is converted to other forms of energy. Every tree and every living plant represents storage of this energy. The wind represents a lot of energy that came from the Sun. Water movement is a lot of energy that came from the Sun. There is no missing heat, it's all accounted for.

-----------------------

• Ha! Ha! Weren't you one of those that said we are in the ten hottest years and the earth is warming up?

Oh, I get it. We are really really warming up, but there is some heat missing so the charts show that the earth is cooling down. Oh, that explains it! If you see some guys in white coats with butterfly nets, you better run!

• Chem. do you really believe in the missing heat scenario, I thought you had more sense.

I can accept a pause in heating due to natural factors which will resume later, but the magical missing heat 'oh come on'

• The problem is why is it missing ? Did it even exist? Or was just made up like

a fiction book .

• What the **** does this really have to do with GW