Solar energy is the future?

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this, and would you consider buying a solar energy system?

Reason is, I'm thinking about it and feel a system would pay for itself after about 10 to 12 years, due to the electricity savings I would make.

Comments

• I'm glad you phrased the question as you did. Very few people seem to understand that the BEST application of solar energy is to go by individuals. The most efficient way to utilize that energy is to get solar panels installed on buildings and homes. Even if you're not in an incredibly sunny area, as long as you get a moderate amount it's an excellent idea (albeit initially expensive) that more people should pick up on.

The frustrating part is that full blown solar stations do not put out as much energy as we'd like. They've been somewhat disappointing, and tend to be kind of wimpy compared to other renewables, and WAY wimpy compared to fossil fuels and nuclear. What we need to do is embrace this technology individually. The amount of energy loss is far less when it doesn't have to travel or be stored.

Strictly monetarily, I honestly don't think it would pay for itself within a decade. But economically, environmentally... If you have the extra funds, it's a classy choice that sets a solid example.

I wish there were something in place to help offset the initial cost. If every building and home had solar panels, it would cut the world's power requirements by over half.

• Solar energy is the future, the present and the past. Fossil fuels are just solar energy collected by ancient plants, that's why it's "fossil" fuel.

As to investing in solar panels. Current commercial photovoltaic cells are about 15% efficient, the current record is 42.8% and 65% cells are on the drawing board. Investing in solar panels now would be like investing in the current low interest bonds, you're better off just waiting a few years and then investing. There's no doubt that you would save some money but you would save a lot more if you just waited for the new technology. Of course, government subsidies could sway the equation.

• Yes, and No.

The Future is going to hold a lot of changes as we progress further out of the Industrial Age. We will find Wind, Geo-Thermal, Solar, Tidal, Hydroelectric, and Bio-Fuels while we stray away from traditional fuel and energy sources.

Cities are already actively implementing solar ready buildings and homes, and are investing a lot of time and money on sustainable energy. In a short while it would be very difficult to find buildings which don't have some type of sustainable energy.

Also note: For every 1$ of energy savings, the property value increases $20 (US Department of Housing and Urban Development)

I would advise retrofitting your home with solar energy, and also recommend some form of water barrel or instant-hot water heater.

• I have a system and I love it, especially since the year after it was installed my city approved a 20% rate increase. With rebates and tax credits my system was estimated to break even at 7.2 years, with the rate increase it will be sooner. My system produces about 90% of my summer usage and about 50% of my winter usage. I'm tied to the grid, so I didn't have to pay more to have a battery back up system.

Any reputable installer will be happy to come out and give you a no obligation quote. There is no way to get an accurate quote without a site visit. They need to take into account shade features, orientation and look to see if the building can take the weight without modification. I highly recommend looking for a company that has a structural engineer on staff.

• Not. The future will be bloody war for water and green environment, when all the machinery that runs on fuel will stop because the sources emptied.

Not any energy resources are able to mass produce the only 5% of the energy we use nowadays.

• If a future is to exist, yes.

Coal burning electric plants are slow cooking us. We must evolve to survive. With a multiplying population were simply running out of room for giant power plants. WE HAVE TO WORK TOGETHER. The plant needs to exist everywhere. SOLAR PANELS ON EVERY ROOFTOP is our best bet at not joining history.

Japan is already on it

• There is enough coal in the ground to serve everyones needs. The trouble is politicians like al gore(tells us all the global warming lie, has a carbon company that takes the money of gullible fools and has shares in oil)and Obama shuts down independant power stations and imposes 200 million green taxes on anyone that wants to run one. Not because he cares about the environment but because he gets paid money from general electric to remove all competition using the global warming lie as an excuse. Coal power once filtered through water cooled towers is safe. We breathe out carbon dioxide-plants take it in and give out oxygen. This is how it is. Don't believe the global warming lies of al gore and the Rothschilds. All these people make the biggest lie ever, that they can save the planet if we give them all their money! 00 million green taxes on anyone that wants to run one. Not because he cares about the environment but because he gets paid money from general electric to remove all competition using the global warming lie as an excuse. Coal power once filtered through water cooled towers is safe. We breathe out carbon dioxide-plants take it in and give out oxygen. This is how it is. Don't believe the global warming lies of al gore and the Rothschilds. All these people make the biggest lie ever, that they can save the planet if we give them all their money!

• not exactly

we also have lot of alternatives like nano technologies

and also mostly biotech

etc all these serve us our future survivals

• I would consider it heavily once I settle down.